For 2023, penalties are added to the current year's taxes at the rate of 1% per month from Sept to Dec . A 1.85% compounding penalty will be added to arrears of taxes (after Dec 31st). The postmark is used to identify payment date. A drop box is located in the foyer of the Town Office.
to See the Power Point Presentation "Where Do My Taxes Go?"
Other Information Respecting Tax and Assessment:
- The Town of Osler uses a base rate for all land and buildings, which spreads the tax burden more equitably
- It is very difficult to compare individual tax bills from one community to another as different communities use different methods of taxation (i.e. base tax/minimum tax) and assessed values can vary greatly from one community to another
- The size of the lot you live on has very little effect on the amount of your taxes
- The majority of the assessed value, and thus the majority of the amount of tax you pay, is based on the improvement (your home, garage, and outbuildings)
- Newer homes will generally have a higher assessed value than older homes
- Two houses that have the same general appearance on the outside will not necessarily pay the same amount of tax as the assessed values could be quite different
- Please do not assume because a neighboring community has a lower mill rate, that the taxes are lower in that community. Remember that property values in other communities might be higher, allowing them to have lower mill rates. For instance, generally speaking Warman and Martensville assessments are approximately 20% to 25% higher than in Osler, due to using a market approach. So if your property has an assessment of $400,000 here in Osler, in Warman that same property might be assessed from $480,000 to $500,000
Please feel free to stop by the office or call, if you have questions about your taxes or would like to know more about how they are calculated.
It would be good to call ahead and make an appointment with the Chief Administrator Officer (CAO) if you would like to have an extended conversation and explanation in this regard.